I have been reminded
recently how weak I am. It seems like
when I have it all together, I find myself struggling, and failing. I suppose that is the
danger of overconfidence, it causes us to drop our guard and then, as my friend
Doug Stahl says - - BOOOM!
Matthew 26 speaks of the dangers of overconfidence. There we find the words of Peter who said in verse 35: “I will never disown you!” He said also in verse 33, “Even if all fall away on account of you, I never will.” Peter was not fully aware of the weakness of his flesh. And so, he did not watch, he did not pray, and as a result – he did enter into temptation - and he failed unbelievably so - he denied his Savior. The one who thinks he has all he needs to stand better be careful, because he is setting himself up for failure!
Matthew 26 speaks of the dangers of overconfidence. There we find the words of Peter who said in verse 35: “I will never disown you!” He said also in verse 33, “Even if all fall away on account of you, I never will.” Peter was not fully aware of the weakness of his flesh. And so, he did not watch, he did not pray, and as a result – he did enter into temptation - and he failed unbelievably so - he denied his Savior. The one who thinks he has all he needs to stand better be careful, because he is setting himself up for failure!
Robert
Murray McCheyne said “I am tempted to think that I am now an established Christian
that I have overcome this or that lust for so long that I have got into the
habit of the opposite grace – so that there is no fear. I may venture very near temptation, nearer
than other men. This is a lie of
Satan. I might as well speak of
gunpowder getting by habit a power of resisting fire, so as not to catch the
spark. The seeds of all sins are in my
heart and perhaps all the more dangerously because I do see them.”
We must never fall into
such thinking – we must be ever vigilant – ever watching. In fact Jesus instructed His followers to
watch and to pray? Why? Because Jesus knew that we are weak. Do you know this to be so of you?? Do you know the weakness of your own flesh? It is important that we know this truth, but
let the truth not be a discouragement to you.
In fact – this realization is the
first step in finding strength. You must
first agree that you are weak, and with such self-awareness, you may now flee to
the one of whom Hebrews 4:15 says: “ For we do not have a high priest who is unable to
sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted
as we are, yet without sin.”
I am weak – and so are you! But God is gracious to weak sinners in that he has provided the answer to our weakness. He has provided His own Son, who lived a very
real life with very real struggles and temptations and disappointments and weariness and hurt
– and yet he conquered every enemy when he rose again from that grave! And from heaven – that same Son has provided
His own presence in the person of the Holy Spirit who now resides in every
Child of God to bring strength and direction to empower us that we may live pleasingly before The
Father -- and to bring comfort and assurance when we fail.
Be aware of the danger of overconfidence in life,
and thrust yourself entirely, as an absolute invalid, upon the aid of the
Holy Spirit. When you are weak, HE is strong!
No comments:
Post a Comment