I am currently reading two books, both of which I am enjoying thoroughly and commend to your reading. First is "Desiring the Kingdom" by James K A Smith. It is a book about Liturgy and Culture and Worship - - a very insightful book. The other is "Walking with God Through Pain and Suffering" by Timothy Keller, it is from this book that I have been thinking devotionally this morning.
Let me ask, have you paid attention to what happens to the disciples of Jesus? They suffered, they received scoffing and rejection. They died for their faith. From Keller's book, we are taught that followers of Jesus rest in the hope and joy of eternity even amidst the starkest and most desperate and painful realities of living in a sin ravished - fallen world. The promises of God DO NOT prevent the problem of suffering; let us not pretend they do. Jesus said in John 16:33, "In the world you will have tribulation." No sugar-coating reality there! Jesus said the truth - we will suffer - - but praise God, Jesus added - "....but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world!"
The world is a messed up place. Sin has made it a place of hurt and pain and anguish and frustration - and we must not be so naïve to think pledging allegiance to Jesus is going to make everything better and easier. Olsteenian theology is a lie - - this is not your best life now! To be sure - followers of Jesus find peace in the finished work of Jesus himself, nothing else! But that does not mean that life will always be "peachy." Even the man who built his house in the rock had to endure the storm.
After having dealt with the reality of pain and suffering, Keller gives a Biblical foundation upon which to stand when the hurtful, painful realities of life come. This is what makes this book most practical and useful. Let me share with you what Keller does in the book to help you through pain and suffering.
Keller breaks the book into three parts, first: Understanding the Furnace. Second, Facing the Furnace. And then finally - Walking with God in the Furnace. It was this third part that I found most beneficial.
I recommend this book, "Walking with God Through Pain and Suffering" by Timothy Keller. In fact - if you are in the Hagerstown area - stop by Lifeway for a visit. If I am there (I am off Friday this week) - I will gladly show you where to find the book, and I would really enjoy the visit. Blessings!
No comments:
Post a Comment