Have
you ever had bath time battles with a child?
I have. I remember the “cleaning
behind the ears” battle I had with one of my sons. But after finally giving in, I discovered he was right -
cleaning behind the ears was not really all that bad!
The
people of heaven are all people who realize they were sin stained and in need
of a Spiritual bath. They all came to a
place where they understood their need to be thoroughly washed. Think about John in his island prison. I do not suppose Patmos Penitentiary had a
regular laundry service. John was
probably filthy and wearing very dirty clothes, but in his rapturous vision of
heaven, he sees the people of God adorned in brilliant white robes, pure and
clean from head to toe. These robes and
their cleanliness represents purity.
There is not a hint of stain on
these people. They are thoroughly washed,
clean, glistening.
This
is a picture of what Christ has done for His people. We are stained and soiled with the filth of
sin and disease because we are a fallen people in a fallen world. Sinful thoughts and deeds create great
stains. As we look upon our sin stained
selves we are made to understand that we do not belong in the presence of
God. As we see ourselves as we actually
are because of sin, we wonder, how would we ever dare to think that we may
enter into the presence of God like this?
Well, if you are in Christ, you need not be so concerned, Revelation
7:14 lets us in on the remedy: “They
have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.”
No comments:
Post a Comment