Feb 9, 2015

Monday Morning Thoughts about Church

The mystery of God's grace is that through the humble proclamation of the Gospel, God shines saving light into the human heart.  Paul said in Romans 10:14: "How then will they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone preaching?"  Jesus said in John 12:32, "As I am lifted up, I will draw people to myself." 
As much as I enjoy singing and praying and serving and fellowship, I am convinced that it is the faithful preaching of The Bible that defines a gospel-centered church; a gospel centered church is where the unique glory of Christ is held up before the eyes of sinful man through the faithful exposition of all the council of Scripture. 
It troubles me that churches are described, not by faithfulness to the text and meaning of the scriptures, but to the style of the "worship."  In fact, it troubles me that we do not seem to believe that the preaching of the Word of God is worship.  But it is!  In fact, it is the centerpiece of worship! 
John Piper said this, and I can say it no better so I quote him at length:  "In the same way that a melody can awaken us to the true beauty of God in the lyrics of a worship song, so the spiritual music of the preacher's soul can awaken the people to the glory of the preached truth of God. When the Word comes worshiping, it will beget worship. When preaching is not just expository but expository exultation-that's my definition of preaching-it will move the hearers, and it will engage the heart with the presence and glory of God."
To me (Aaron) - preaching that glorifies God by glorifying His son; preaching that speaks of the truth of our sin; preaching that highlights the redemptive measures of the gracious offering of Christ on the cross to pay the debt of our sin; that is the kind of preaching that  will engender thankfulness and Christ exalting worship in its hearers!
Have you heard the joyful sound?  Jesus saves! Jesus saves! Does that not make your heart sing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment