Jan 24, 2015

Can You Help Me Find a Bible Verse?

Can you help me find a Bible verse? it goes like this:  God will not give you more than you can handle.  Did you find it?  You won't.  Nowhere in the Bible are we told that hardships come with an "only-as-much-as-you-can-handle" clause.  That is not true to life.  In my life, I am made painfully aware of my human reality on a daily basis; I am weak and frankly I am given much, much more than I can handle.

The idea that God will not give us more than we can handle wrongly emphasis ourselves, it assumes that Gods desire is never to overwhelm us with difficulties that would cause us to actually need Him.  Believing this adage is to brush aside the difficult realities of our weakness and need.  The Bible does not say that God will spare us from circumstances that are too hard for us, the opposite is true.  God has great lessons to teach us by increasingly giving to us more than we can handle.  As He does so, in His infinite grace, He roots out our sin and  reveals the futility of all that is not Him and teaches us to love Him and trust Him above all else.

Having asked you to find something that is nowhere to be found in the pages of your bible, I leave you with an assignment to find something that is.  Take a look at Lamentations 3.  You will find there some of the bitterest, most somber words in all the Bible.  Yet it is exactly there, in the midst of the Lamentations of Jeremiah, we find the only hope we have as we are enduring the often harsh realities of life.  Hear this!  Verses 22 and 23; "Through the Lords mercies we are not consumed, because His compassions fail not!  They are new every morning; Great is Thy faithfulness."

No comments:

Post a Comment