Mar 12, 2015

How Father Abraham was a Good Father.....

Isaac was most certainly a witness to the many ways God blessed his father Abraham.  But sometimes, when life is hard and fears are mounting, we are in need of reminding, and I think that is the intention God had when He told Isaac; "I am the God of your father Abraham." 
These words would bring to Isaacs mind the many promises and blessings he witnessed manifest in the life of his father because God is always faithful. It would bring to mind the instruction that Abraham gave Isaac as he was growing up in Abrahams home.  Abraham was a faithful father who taught his children the will and ways and faithfulness of God.  The Bible records the sentiment of God concerning Abraham in Genesis 18:19 - "For I have known him, in order that he may command his children and his household after him, that they keep the way of the LORD, to do righteousness and justice, that the LORD may bring to Abraham what He has spoken to him."
I have some friends who are expecting the arrival of a little baby girl this week - and if I could speak into the heart of that new father something I believe to be most helpful to successfully loving that little girl - it is this - be just like Abraham.  Take care to teach the ways of God, to instill - not merely knowledge about God - but the "ways of God" so that she may know not merely stuff about God - but that she may love God. Let her witness His faithfulness in your faithfulness to instruct and guide and care and love her. Take care to note the special grace and mercy and love and blessing God has demonstrated to you.  Let her know that God is faithful to His promise and rewards a life that honors and glorifies Him in obedience and righteousness. Tell those things to your child.
Fearful Isaac needed to be reminded of the faithfulness of God - and what was the most powerful example of the faithfulness of God to one so young?  The faithfulness of God to his parents.  In my life - and amidst the many trials and terrors and pain - it is the remembrance of those things my faithful parents - and in particular - my faithful father - taught me about the faithfulness of My God!  Because of their witness - I learned to sing -


There is a Savior, What joys express!
His eyes are mercy, His Word is rest,
For each tomorrow, for each today,
There is a Savior, who lights the way.


"We have seen and we testify that the Father has sent the Son as Savior of the world."
I John 4:14

No comments:

Post a Comment